Friday, August 6, 2010

TRAIL BOSS BLOG:

HEADING FOR THE CORNER!

Okay, it's taken me five years to do it, but I'm finally getting to take aim for Cameron Corner.

When we kicked off TRAIL ZONE five years ago, one of the first things I wanted to do was take a look at the junction point of NSW, Queensland and South Australia -- clearly good things come to those who wait!

Tomorrow the long trek west to Broken Hill begins, where myself and Lance 'Russ' Turnley from www.offroadexplorer.com will be hooking up with Wolfy from Adventure Moto, Clive and Heath from MotorcycleBiz, Terry from Club Y and a couple of dedicated TRAIL ZONE readers from Queensland for a five-day lap out toward the centre.

But that's only if the weather gods let us, as a stack of roads and tracks north and west of Cameron Corner are still closed from all the rain they've had out there this year.

Our plan is to head to Cameron Corner the first night, then on to Birdsville, then Lake Eyre and then the Flinders Ranges before looping back to Broken Hill.

It will be a ripper ride if we can get through all the gloop and slop ... and quite possibly an even MORE ripper ride if we can't!

I know I'm treating the threat of mud-jammed front wheels seriously and have just fitted a Touratech high front guard to my mount for the trip: our Yamaha XT660Z Tenere Project Bike. A fresh set of Dunlop D606 knobbies should also help deal with the sticky brown stuff ... I hope!

Needless to say TRAIL ZONE Blogspot updates will likely be slim-pickings over the coming week, so I apologise for that in advance.

In the meantime console yourselves that TRAIL ZONE issue #31 hits the streets next week -- grab a copy and soak it all up and enjoy our fifth birthday celebrations. I know I will be at the Corner!

Catch ya!

-- Clubby, www.trailzone.com.au

PS: That photo is the actual signpost at the Corner: impressive, huh? Makes you just wanna get on your bike and ride three days straight and go out there and check it out, huh? You bet!

No comments:

Post a Comment